An Update to the Martha Moxley/Michael Skakel Case

Normally I would simply add this update to the existing blog that I created in January of 2013 as I have done in the past.  However, I am unsure why but I have attempted three different times to do so and failed.

At the time of my original blog there seemed to be little to no doubt that Michael Skakel would remain in prison and serve his time.  However, that changed on October 23, 2013 when a Connecticut judge ruled in Skakel's favor saying that he had received ineffective counsel, among other things, during his 2002 trial in the murder of Martha Moxley in 1975. One of the main reasons held was that his original defense apparently failed to inform the jury that Michael's brother, Thomas, had also been considered a viable suspect in the case and was the last person seen with her before her murder.  His conviction was overturned.

On November 21, 2013 Michael Skakel was released on bond while the wheels of justice... running much slower than usual it seems... began to turn.  In August of 2014 the state filed to appeal the ruling and asked that the conviction be re-instated.  

On December 30, 2016 the Connecticut Supreme Court sided with the state and in a vote of 4-3 did just that in re-instating the conviction.  As of today (1-1-2017) it seems that while his return to prison will happen, it has not as of yet happened.

In addition to this information, after writing a scathing article in a magazine just after the original conviction (I spoke of this in the original blog), Robert Kennedy Jr., Skakel's cousin wrote a book in 2016 about this case and what he called the injustice his cousin had received.  I admit that I have not, nor do I have plans to read the book.  I have seen many interviews given by Kennedy over the years and I find his arguments invalid and to be truthful I become ill just to watch.  I suppose it is kudos to him however since he garnered a lot of publicity for himself and probably lots of money from his book since he seemed to be on every news show available.

I feel no differently now, as I did in 2013 which I initially wrote this story, or in the many years prior to creating this blog.  In my opinion, the correct person was put in jail and it is sad that money and prestige shadows the fact that a young, innocent 15 year old girl was murdered in her own yard over 40 years ago.


****Update***

On May 4, 2018 the Connecticut Supreme Court vacated Michael Skakel's conviction and ordered a new trial.  In January 2019 the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear the state's appeal.  Keep in mind that the reversal of the conviction was largely based on the issue of ineffective counsel at trial.

In March of 2020 it was reported that Skakel fired the attorney's who had been able to obtain the reversal, something that is considered to be a "legal miracle" in circles.  The most interesting thing about this is that in return he re-hired one of the attorney's from his original defense trial!!!  

In October of 2019 Connecticut enacted a law that seals all police and court records in serious criminal cases against juveniles.  Despite the fact that Skakel was middle aged before he was charged, he was fifteen when he allegedly committed the murder, making him a juvenile and hence keeping records sealed. 

As of this time it is said that defense attorney's are still talking with prosecutors who have not apparently made a decision about a re-trial.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gregory "Chad" Wallin-Reed

The Shanda Sharer Story

Laverne Katherine "Kay" Parsons